The MSI-based installer for the toolkit has been deprecated in favor of installation via NuGet or compiling directly from source.
- If you have Visual Studio 2012 installed congratulations you already have NuGet!
- If you don't already have NuGet installed go to http://nuget.org and install the NuGet Visual Studio extension
- Ensure you have a version of NuGet >= 2.1 for WP8 projects
- Once NuGet is installed install the Windows Phone Toolkit package from http://nuget.org/packages/wptoolkit
- Optionally you can download the source and compile the assembly yourself.
- If you're compiling the source yourself you'll also need the Multilingual App Toolkit for Visual Studio 2012 to avoid warnings that the localized resx files are missing.
As part of the Windows Phone Toolkit - August 2013 update we added a TransferControl to the set of XAML controls. You can use this control to more easily create a UI that shows the progress of a background transfer – either an upload or a download. The control also gives the app user the option to cancel a background transfer while it is in progress. Feel free to go straight to the source code and sample in the WPToolkit, look for TransferControl sample on the main page at runtime.
Sample usage is included in the projects and an elaborate description is published in the blog post here - http://blogs.windows.com/windows_phone/b/wpdev/archive/2013/08/15/creating-a-ui-for-background-transfer-requests.aspx